Powered By Blogger

search

Saturday, July 26, 2008

75%

Earlier this morning, the medical ward head nurse, who i shall name sir mike, visited the unit where i am currenly assigned to, the surgical unit. He said he was bored and his ward was in a state of utter 'benign' so he thought, what better way to spend precious time than visit the next to the most boring unit, which is a connecting bridge and two floors away?

Now, i'm not usually sociable, but since i am supposed to be happy, welcoming and warm to certain 'people' are around, i summoned my alter-ego within and acted in a manner that even the blind could 'see' a good soul in me.

Everything was going smoothly. I mean, why not, it was so boring afterall. I went home earlier than expected, which i thought was ok. Then my co-trainee texted me and asked if i was going to be rotated in the medical unit.

I said no.

Then she shared an incident about a complaint from a staff regarding my documentation.

I asked about the specifics of the complain.

She said, "Nasabon ako kanina sa charting mu. Sobrang ikli kasi... nevermind... Ay d mo alam? Itinawag pa nga ng staff sa staff ng surge eh. Sobrang iksi daw kasi ng charting mu. Hehe. Kasi wala magawa si sir mike kanina, tinignan nya yung chart na inendorse mu, nakita charting mu... oo, mejo nagalit sya. kukwento ko nalang sau bukas.”

On my defense, my duty started with the usual enorsement from the previous shift. A receiving staff at surgery, who i shall call sir Sarsi, complained about the admission of a patient with a medical complaint in the surgical unit. He then requested for the patient to be transferred to the medical unit. After the rounds, the institutional worker on duty came in the Surgical unit to transport the patient with medical case to the medical ward. The staff nurse, who is in charge of the patient asked my help in completing the paper works. She asked me to give the due meds and to complete the chart for her. I did what I was asked to, but I only documented by brief assessment and the only interventions which I was able to perform, given the matter-of-minutes-span of time. I then got all the patient’s stuff and endorsed the patient to the medical ward.

I don’t know whether sir mike plainly is evil and mistake-finder or just outright inconsiderate and unthinking. Is a nurse’s capacity to care for the patient measured in the number of words she writes on the chart? I only wrote pertinent assessment findings and interventions relative to solving of the problem. Given the amount of time, which was roughly 15 minutes, how could I perform the actions necessary so I could have a 1-page-charting which he seems to want? Andami talagang hindi nag-iisip sa mundo minsan. Hayz. Buti sana kung kinausap ako regarding dun, eh umakyat lang ata sa ward namin para mag-chismiss ang ginawa nya. Kung may problema sya sakin, he should have called my attention. Headnurse pa man ding naturingan. Hay talaga ever.

No comments: